The Iowa Finance Authority (IFA) is searching for an outstanding, motivated professional to join our team as Legal Counsel.
The Legal Counsel serves as legal counsel for IFA boards and committees, including the Iowa Finance Authority Board of Directors.
Legal Counsel advises the Director and members of the Senior Executive Team shared with IFA’s sister agency, the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA); IFA staff; board/committee administrators; and board/committee members regarding IFA’s programs, laws and rules affecting IFA, and board administration.
The Legal Counsel is involved in high level decision making regarding State and Federal programs; drafts and negotiates contracts and agreements, including interagency and intergovernmental contracts, and other documents; and is responsible for ensuring that IFA’s administrative rules are in compliance with law and agency policy. The Legal Counsel will be a member of the IEDA | IFA Legal and Policy Team and, as such, may also provide legal services to IEDA.
About the Iowa Finance Authority: The Iowa Finance Authority was created in 1975 to advance affordable housing opportunities for Iowans. Since that time, we’ve helped thousands of Iowans purchase their first home or find a rental home in which their families can thrive.
The Iowa Finance Authority has grown to provide a wealth of resources for Iowans, including low-cost water quality financing for communities, assistance for beginning farmers to establish their farming operations, homelessness assistance for Iowans in need and residential and commercial title protection.
…And we’re just getting started.
Are you the perfect candidate to help us assist even more Iowans?
Duties: Programs legal support:
• Drafts and reviews documents, including contracts, for justification, accuracy and completeness.
• Answers questions relating to policy and administrative actions relating to the agency’s programs.
• Drafts and reviews the agency's contracts with state and federal agencies detailing the terms of the applicable agreement/program and the respective obligations of each party involved.
• Drafts/reviews language, contracts and other documentation for the agency's various programs (for example, multifamily loan documents, grant documents, etc.).
General Legal Duties:
• Reviews documents for the Iowa Finance Authority, the Director, and iIFA staff.
• Drafts and reviews agency forms, contracts, and other legal documents.
• Researches laws, legal opinions, policies, regulations and cases.
• Examines formal filings for legal sufficiency and full disclosure required by statues, rules and regulations.
• Prepares correspondence relating to a variety of issues, including but not limited to, the preparation of opinions, legislative reports, briefs, other legal issues or documents.
Ideal candidates will exemplify our core values and have experience in:
• Negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts
• State and Federal grant and loan programs
• Advising multiple levels of organizations regarding complex legal issues
The Legal Counsel position is a non-merit, contract covered position that is classified by the State of Iowa as an Attorney 2. This position is exempt (salaried) per FLSA regulations.
As an employee of the Iowa Finance Authority, you are a State of Iowa employee and eligible for a comprehensive benefits package that includes the following and more:
Insurance – Health, Dental, Life and Long-Term Disability IPERS (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System) Leave – Sick, Vacation, Family and Military Leave Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts To learn more about benefits available to State of Iowa employees visit the benefits web page.
New to the area or looking to relocate to Iowa? Visit This is Iowa to see how Iowa offers something for everyone- competitively low cost of living, bustling cities and neighborhoods, access to entertainment, opportunities for career growth and unrivaled access to outdoor adventures.
An EEO/AA Employer Our agency uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification: 1) Graduation from an accredited school of law, and experience equal to two years of full-time work in the practice of law; not including experience as a law clerk. 2) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes eighteen months of full-time work with the employing agency in the practice of law; not including experience as a law clerk. And Must possess a law degree from an accredited institution.
To Apply: Submit an application, resume and cover letter at jobs.iowa.gov by the closing date. Applicant must pass a comprehensive background check before an offer for employment will be extended.
Building Strong Futures One Milestone At a Time
At the Iowa Finance Authority, we help Iowans take life-changing actions every day.
Whether you’re buying your first home, making a fresh start, hoping to continue your family’s farming legacy or even working to upgrade a community’s water quality infrastructure, we’re proud to kickstart dreams into realities.
The Iowa Finance Authority also offers programs to assist in community development, including issuing tax-exempt bonds, providing the lowest cost funds for drinking water and wastewater facilities in Iowa and offering Iowa Title Guaranty, which provides guaranteed title to real property in Iowa.