The New York State Teachers’ Retirement System (“NYSTRS”, or the “System”) is seeking a seasoned, highly qualified attorney to join its Office of the General Counsel. The ideal candidate must be highly motivated and a confident self-starter who can prioritize and effectively lead multiple initiatives and who thrives in a high volume, fast-paced environment.
The job responsibilities of the In-House Counsel will include, but are not limited to, the following: · Provide exceptional general legal services to all departments, divisions, and stakeholders of and within the System
· Contribute to and/or be responsible as Legal Department lead for benefits, legislation, investments, back-office support (benefits and investments), risk & compliance, governance, litigation, labor and employment, procurement, and/or other general legal matters that may arise affecting the System
· Assist with compliance and governance matters in support of the Executive Director & Chief Investment Officer and the Board of Trustees
· Contribute to and assist with the System’s Legislative programs and outreach, and advise in interpreting and implementing the statutes, rules & regulations governing the System and on other laws that may affect the System
· Draft determination letters, memoranda, briefs, affidavit, policies, processes, procedures and other documents and deliverables as required
· Coordinate work with outside counsel and managing outside counsel’s work product and costs
· Supervise, manage, and mentor junior attorneys and legal professionals within the Office of the General Counsel
· Collaborate and assist to facilitate all administrative and operational needs of the Legal Department
A JD from an accredited law school
Admission to and good standing with the New York State Bar or admission to the New York State Bar prior to appointment
12-15 years of satisfactory legal experience, which must include:
8 years post-admission legal experience in one or more of the following areas: Pension, Benefits, Compliance, Investments/Asset management, or Labor Law
5 years of managerial and supervisory responsibility of legal staff
The New York State Teachers’ Retirement System (NYSTRS) is one of the 10-largest public pension funds in the nation.
Established in 1921 by the New York State Legislature, the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System (NYSTRS) provides retirement, disability and death benefits to eligible New York State public school teachers and administrators. The System is among the 10-largest public pension funds in the nation based on total assets.
Our Mission: To provide our members with a secure pension.
Our Vision: To be the model for pension fund excellence and exceptional customer service.
Our Values: Respect, Excellence, Diversity, Balance, Integrity, Resourcefulness, Diligence
NYSTRS is one of the most secure and well-funded public pension plans in the country. Learn more about the System's investments, finances and member statistics on the NYSTRS by the Numbers and infographics pages and in our annual financial reports.