The Homesteaders Legal & Compliance department is looking for an energetic attorney who is willing to be part of the team. We are looking for an attorney that is a self-motivated, detail oriented and collaborative. This individual will be part of a team that works closely with all business units within Homesteaders to help navigate legal and compliance challenges.
In this role, the primary responsibilities and accountabilities will be to:
· Assist in identifying, researching and addressing regulatory, legal and compliance risks and issues affecting the Company.
· Assists in advising the Company on regulatory and compliance matters.
· Perform regulatory and legal research on issues affecting the Company.
· Assist with handling government affairs including reviewing and reporting on legislative and regulatory changes that may have an impact on the Company.
· Assists with subpoenas, market conduct exams, insurance and other department inquiries, contract review and drafting.
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret statutes, regulations, contracts and other legal documents.
Minimum of zero (0) to three (3) years of legal and/or compliance experience with a willingness to learn about the insurance industry along with other legal concepts
Demonstrated skills in utilization of legal research tools (i.e. LexisNexis, Westlaw, etc.)
Ability to read, analyze and interpret statutes, regulations, contracts and other legal documents
Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel
Must possess excellent legal research skills
Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely to a wide variety of audiences in both writing and orally. Excellent active listening skills
Ability to interpret complex and potentially conflicting data from a variety of sources
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
Skill in defining problems, data collection, establishment of facts and valid conclusions
Excellent collaborative and team skills including ability to work with all levels of the organization in an effective manner
Homesteaders Life Company provides consumer friendly insurance products to fund prearranged funerals through a network of independent funeral homes located throughout the United States. As a mutual life insurance company we exist to serve our policy holders and funeral home customers. We act with the highest level of integrity to promote the value of funeral service. Homesteaders is a leader in the industry and this pride and dedication starts with our employees!