Gundersen Health System is looking for a Paralegal in La Crosse, WI. Ideal candidates would have familiarity with electronic health care records systems.
The Paralegal reports to the Associate General Counsel and is responsible for working under the supervision of attorneys in the legal department. They provide legal advice and assistance to Gundersen Health System and its key affiliates. In addition, the Paralegal provides assistance in compliance, contractual, corporate, employment, labor, medical malpractice, risk management, and other legal issues related to patient care, including consent, termination of care, medical malpractice, and risk management.
1. Performing legal research in all areas that affect business practices and healthcare operations.
2. Performing research and providing assistance and education to directors, managers, clinicians, and social workers to resolve statutory and regulatory issues relating to the provision of health care. These issues can include release of information, informed consent for treatment, guardianships, power of attorney for health care, delegation of parental powers, custody, and foster care.
3. Reviewing court documents and medical records.
4. Assisting with the maintenance of corporate records including the preparation and filing of annual reports and other necessary reports.
5. Managing, importing, reviewing and maintaining corporate contracts in the Infor Lawson Contract Management System.
6. Contract review and drafting in collaboration with attorneys in the legal department.
7. Providing paralegal support such as drafting correspondence and other documents to assist attorneys in the legal department and outside legal counsel on internal/external investigations in such areas as employment issues and breach of confidentiality concerns.
8. Providing paralegal support such as drafting correspondence, pleadings, and other documents to assist attorneys in the legal department and outside legal counsel on litigation matters in such areas as professional and general liability claims and employment issues.
9. Providing litigation support to attorneys in the legal department for discovery and evidence preservation.
10. Assisting with tasks related to the Gundersen Clinic, Ltd. Professional Liability Insurance Plan such as working with Risk Management on the quarterly file review and revision of the reserve list, responding to internal and external requests for information, and communication with the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (such as preparing and filing insurance certificates, linking and unlinking providers to Gundersen's account, etc.).
11. Reviewing and drafting policies and standard operating procedures.
12. Assisting with the development of workflows, reference documents, checklists, and other resources to enhance policy and standard operating procedure implementation and compliance.
13. Assisting the attorneys in the legal department in collaborating with Compliance, Risk Management, Security, Patient Experience, Health Information Management and other clinical departments on complex patient care matters.
14. Assist in researching, filing, and managing possible class action claims on behalf of Gundersen. Performs other job-related duties as requested.
Education and Learning:
Associate degree in Paralegal or Bachelor of Science with major in paralegal studies
3-4 years minimum of related work experience.
6 months Knowledge and experience working on contractual, corporate, employment, health, medical malpractice, litigation, and other like matters for health care organizations in either Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin.
Proficiency with Epic or other electronic health record system. Familiarity with database systems such as patient event reporting systems or contract management systems.
At Gundersen Health System, we've made it our priority to enrich the lives of our employees as they find a career they love in our physician-led, integrated healthcare system. Using each employee's unique talents and passions, Gundersen is committed to delivering exceptional patient- and family-centered care to the communities we serve in western Wisconsin, northeastern Iowa and southeastern Minnesota.