The Director of Human Resources is responsible for developing and executing the Human Resources strategy and operations in support of the Firm's strategic direction. This role works collaboratively with the Administrative Directors, Firm Leadership and Partners who lead Attorney Recruitment, Professional Development, Associate Evaluations and Diversity. The Director of HR leads a department that is responsible for HR policy development and implementation, employee relations, performance management, compensation, benefit design and administration, orientation programs, recruitment and retention programs. Recommends policies and monitors human resources activities affecting all operations of the firm.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement HR strategies designed to attract, develop and retain high quality individuals to the Firm.
- Serve as a business partner to Firm Management to support and advance the Firm's strategic direction.
- Manage, develop and coach HR team members to ensure the effectiveness and credibility of the HR function.
- Coach and advise Regional Office Managers and Partners-in-charge to help them achieve their people strategy and to navigate sensitive employee relations issues.
- Partner with the Associate Evaluation Committee to manage the annual performance review process for attorneys. Manage the annual review process for all administrative staff.
- Directs the recruitment, placement and training programs, and ensures compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity regulations. Directs preparation of and implements firm's Affirmative Action Program (AAP).
- Responsible for updating AAP plan and counseling for compliance.
- Determines firm's organizational needs and ensures implementation of recruitment program to obtain high quality employees at minimal cost.
- Develops systems of staff utilization for employees and provides general supervision and discipline for the staff.
- Makes recommendations, ensures implementation, and supervises administration of all firm benefit programs and services, including medical, dental, disability and life insurance plans, 401(k) Plan administration, flexible spending accounts, workers compensation, unemployment compensation, salary continuation, vacation, and leaves of absence.
- Responsible for researching, designing, creating and implementing new human resources programs such as the performance evaluation system, job postings, warning notice systems, etc. Subsequent responsibility includes administration and monitoring of these activities.
- Monitors salary budget for attorneys and staff employees for bottom line compliance to total budgeted amount.
- Oversees the design and implementation of various training programs, including performance appraisal seminars for attorney and managerial staff.
- Maintains awareness of employee morale and concerns and ensures management/employee communication through exit interview program, group and department employee meetings, and various other activities.
- Maintains awareness and expertise regarding innovative HR policy, benefits, government regulations, and similar changes by attendance at seminars, communication with peers in other organizations, and review of various publications.
Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, is a national law firm headquartered in Chicago with approximately 500 lawyers in 11 states: Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Rhode Island and Wisconsin. Hinshaw provides its employees with competitive salaries and benefits, a generous paid time-off policy, and retirement plan. Employees are recognized and rewarded for their achievements through annual performance evaluations and salary reviews. The Firm encourages ongoing personal development and supports a healthy work/life balance.