Number 54 on the Fortune Magazine 100 Best Places to Work.
Nationwide Insurance, Sr. Paralegal, Des Moines, IA
Knowledge of and experience with commercial, agriculture/farm insurance, Lexis, State DOI sites, and project management skills preferred.
JOB SUMMARY: Delivering on time and high quality research for attorneys and as directed on a wide range of topics related to commercial insurance. Performs a variety of complex legal related tasks with minimum supervision. Provides professional assistance and support to the legal staff in the development, research, management and resolution of legal issues involving their respective business units. Prepares and drafts moderately complex legal documents, agreements and pleadings related to litigation and non-litigation matters.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Counsel/Paralegal Supervisor
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides broad based legal support services to attorneys and counsel in the form of legal research, drafting of legal and business communications, and internal systems support and maintenance.
2. Conducts legal research, analyzes and compiles data from multiple sources such as on-line references, digests, practice manuals or other sources. Researches statutes, regulations and court decisions. Prepares summaries of digests and recommendation resolution to legal questions. Prepares internal memos to team members and internal clients.
3. Drafts contracts, patent applications, resolutions and other legal documents for attorney review.
4. Drafts moderately complex depositions outlines/questions, motions, pleadings, subpoenas, orders and briefs for attorney review.
5. Analyzes and evaluates records and data for discovery. Drafts recommendations and correspondence to clients, claims attorneys, and customer with regard to discovery and legal matters.
6. Develops and maintains internal information data bases.
7. Conducts and evaluates open and closed paralegal file audits and informs attorneys and management of the audit results; makes appropriate recommendations for improvement.
8. Knows and applies the fundamental concept, practices and procedures of particular field of specialization. Maintains currency in both business unit and legal professional competencies.
9. May support litigation via the collection of information for interrogatories and response to requests for documentation.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Undergraduate studies in business administration, insurance or other related area preferred.
Designations: Certification in paralegal studies preferred.
Experience: Typically five or more years’ experience as a paralegal with proven performance.
Knowledge: In depth knowledge of paralegal concepts, procedures and practices. Proven knowledge in operations, practices and procedures of general counsel or civil litigation. Proven knowledge of filing requirements of relevant courts and administrative agencies. Must have a demonstrated knowledge in legal research and complex deposition motion practices as well as appellate procedures.
Skills/ Competencies: Strong analytical, research and organizational skills. Ability to set work priorities that conform with established standards. Capacity to administer projects with minimal supervision. Ability to give presentations in both formal and informal settings. Ability to design and maintain filing systems. Strong verbal and written skills for contact with associates, attorneys, clients and customers. Ability to operate a personal computer and related legal and business software and data bases.
Additional Job Description
Knowledge of and experience with commercial, agriculture/farm insurance, Lexis, State DOI sites, and project management skills preferred. Delivering on time and high quality research for attorneys and as directed on a wide range of topics related to commercial insurance.
#legalSmoke-Free Iowa Statement: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on or around company premises as well as company issued vehicles. The company offers designated smoking areas in which smoking is permitted at each individual location. The Act prohibits retaliation for reporting complaints or violations. For more information on the Iowa Smokefree Air Act, individuals may contact the Smokefree Air Act Helpline at
Internal Number: 50310
About Nationwide Insurance
Nationwide is a company of great people doing great things. We care deeply about doing what’s right, and we work hard to make an impact for everyone: our associates, our members, our partners and our communities.
We’re in the business of protecting people and the things they care about most. We trustingly advise our members, offering comprehensive solutions like home, auto, life, pet and business insurance, as well as retirement savings tools and identity theft protection. And we know the work we do matters.
How do we accomplish it all? By hiring and retaining people who are as driven and caring as you. From offering a competitive benefits package to raising our minimum wage to $15, our commitment to our associates is clear. When you work at Nationwide, you know that the difference is GREAT.